Built in 1912 the Salisbury Ice & Fuel Company located at 224 East Horah Street in Salisbury, was just as an important community gathering spot like the post office or general store would have been. At one time up to 21 trucks delivered ice and fuel, such as coal and heating oils, to homes and industrial plants. In 1933, after prohibition ended, Salisbury Ice & Fuel Co. began distributing Lion Beer.
As with many ice and fuel companies technology like refrigeration helped push these businesses aside and by the 1960’s business had declined to the point of closure. In 1974 most of the building was demolished, all that remains is the main brick building and coal siding structure, once connected directly to the Southern Railway mainline, across the street from the brick building. For more information on the Salisbury Ice & Fuel Company please follow the link below: